Savory. Aromatic. Equal parts hearty and delicate. Enjoy this savory treat with plain Greek yogurt and tapenade.
For this recipe I used fresh rosemary, which seems to be surviving our wacky winter. This Mediterranean herb supplies polyphenols to help reduce the bacteria responsible for bloating and poor digestion, as well as contains phytonutrients that help to boost immunity. Its fragrance soothes headaches, improves sleep, and decreases levels of cortisol (the stress hormone).
Rather than use buttermilk for the recipe I opted for kefir (kuh-FEER), a fermented probiotic drink with some fascinating properties. Kefir contain probiotics, live bacteria and yeasts that promote intestinal health. They produce compounds that destroy or suppress microorganism growth, alter intestinal microecology which results in the reduction of harmful organisms in the intestine, and they strengthen the immune system. Kefir is unique from yogurt in that it contains live active cultures of normal flora that will repopulate the digestive tract, thus aiding in digestion.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 c kefir (or buttermilk)
- 1 tbsp rosemary, ground
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium skillet, warm olive oil and onions on low heat. Place a lid on the skillet and steam onions for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove lid and continue cooking onions on low heat until brown (15 to 20 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add olive oil to dry ingredients. Combine.
- Add kefir to onions, then add kefir-onion mixture to dry ingredients. Dough will be sticky.
- Fold in rosemary.
- When dough is sufficiently combined, transfer onto a floured surface.
- Shape the dough into a circular shape, and use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough to 1″ thick.
- Cut the circular shape as if cutting pizza slices, then transfer slices onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool.
10 – 12